I have found few excellent article to define BCS Filter coming from SQL Database as per below.
- Define Filters for External Item Picker Controls
- SharePoint BCS Filtered and Sorted Read List
- Creating Comparison and Wildcard Filters for BCS
But I can not find “Filter Parameter” in second step of BCS Read List operation. Also, I have difficulties to find good article on how to add filtering in BCS from WCF Service. Hence, I posted this article.
There are couple of great articles to build WCF Service that can be consumed by BCS below. It is a good starting point:
- Building WCF Web Services for SharePoint 2010 Business Connectivity Services
- Connecting to a WCF Service Using Business Connectivity Services
Probably some of you have the same problem or familiar with below error messages:
No Filter to select in Find drop down box.
Could not validate item that is exists.
1. Update your WCF Service to retrieve all records service contract to accept filter parameter (in my scenario ActiveOnly and NameFilter)
2. In SharePoint Designer > Remove existing Read List operation
3. In SharePoint Designer > Create new Read List operation from updated WCF service contract
4. Read List operation step 1, enter Operation Name and Display Name and click Next
5. Read List operation step 2, set ActiveOnly default value to true and configure filter to NameFilter parameter, then click Next
6. Read List operation step 3, set Id as Map to Identifier and show AffiliateName in picker, then click Finish
7. Create new list from External Content Type & Ensure the list retrieving records
8. Create / Update your list to add / update External data column to new External Content Type list
9. Ensure it has “Name” in filter drop down box and could validate existing item works
Tagged: BCS, Business Connectivity Services, External Content Type, Filter, library, List, Read List, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint Designer, WCF Services, Windows Communication Foundation Service